Bang & Olufsen launches the Contrast Collection – a limited eight-piece collection created in collaboration with Danish design studio Norm Architects. Taking pleasure in difference, the Contrast Collection is an exploration of material combinations and tactile surfaces – between minimal and expressive, rough and smooth, light and dark, silence and loudness, harmony and noise – celebrating the shared curiosity and craftmanship between the two brands using material tension that intrigues and excites.
Light Grey and Anthracite Colour Palette
The colour palette of the collection was determined by exploring new ways of working with aluminium, which is a material that has become an integral and ubiquitous part of the Bang & Olufsen design aesthetic. Bang & Olufsen and Norm Architects wanted to turn the mirror-like aluminium into a soft and warm spectrum of colours that could put focus on textures applied to the aluminium. The light grey and anthracite colour tones were created from the same master sample of anthracite – an earthy, nearly-black grey – completed at the anodising treatment facility at Bang & Olufsen headquarters.
The brushed aluminium textures have been obtained after countless experiments with different surface treatments. There is a fine balance between presenting the application of a brushed effect as deliberate and controlled, and after a long process that started with hand brushing pieces of flat aluminium for added tactility, the aluminium experts of Bang & Olufsen managed to achieve giving Contrast its distinctive appearance.
Creating a New Sound with Transparent Wool Fabric
Bang & Olufsen helped create its first transparent wool-fabric with Danish design textile company Kvadrat in 2015. For the Contrast Collection, Bang & Olufsen and Norm Architects wanted to explore a new type of textile to bring more tactility to the products and to integrate them beautifully in the home. The fabric – made of wool and viscose – originates from Kvadrat’s Hallingdal Fabric providing excellent durability, while the viscose adds brilliance and depth to the colour. The original version uses thick yarn, so the structure has been loosened to deliver high acoustic performance while maintaining its rich texture.
Explore the Full Collection
The Contrast Collection consists of eight of Bang & Olufsen’s most popular speakers and wireless headphones:
- Beoplay A1 (RRP $349) – Ultra-portable Bluetooth speaker with a premium brushed aluminium grill and mottled tactile base. Contrast Collection colours: Natural Brushed.
- Beoplay H9 (RRP $749) – Premium wireless ANC headphones with a minimalist soft touch feel and a subtle, mottled concrete look on the housing. Contrast Collection colours: Grey Mist and Anthracite.
- Beoplay A9 (RRP $4,400) – Wireless, iconic design speaker with an anodised dark metal frame and light fabric to integrate into any home. Contrast Collection colours: Anthracite.
- Beosound Stage (RRP $2,750) – Powerful soundbar that enhances your TV experience with rich and durable textile fabric with linear elements and an emphasised horizontal weave. Contrast Collection colours: Anthracite.
- Beosound Shape (Grey Define & Dark Grey Define: RRP $440 for 2 pieces of cover, Wooden tile: RRP $1,150 for 2 pieces of cover) – Modular speaker system with a horizontal weave in two colour ways that compliments the dark oak panel. Contrast Collection colours: Grey Define, Dark Grey Define, Wooden tile (Dark Oak).
- Beosound Edge (RRP $5,700) – Compact and powerful wireless speaker with thin, matte aluminium for elegance and wool mixed with viscose fabric for strength and durability. Contrast Collection colours: Anthracite.
- Beosound 1 (RRP $2,650) – Portable smart speaker uniquely treated with sandblasted effect for soft minimalistic feel that invites the touch. Contrast Collection colours: Anthracite.
- Beosound 2 (RRP $3,500) – Powerful speaker system with anodised aluminium and strong contrasts to allow the brush lines to be visible. Contrast Collection colours: Natural Brushed.
Pricing and Availability
The Contrast Collection is now available in Singapore at the following locations: Bang & Olufsen Grand Hyatt flagship store, TANGS at Tang Plaza, Takashimaya Department Store, AV Intelligence, Sprint Cass (airport retailer) as well as KrisShop Online. To find out more, please visit https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/story/contrast-collection