Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is almost here. Starting with Modern Warfare, Activision will be:
- Introducing crossplay to unite the community across platforms for the first time.
- Removing Season Pass and a la carte DLC multiplayer map packs to ensure everyone can play together.
- Delivering free post-launch multiplayer maps and modes for all players.
- Releasing post-launch multiplayer maps and modes simultaneously on all platforms.
What About Loot Boxes?
More importantly, Activision has also addressed the basics for the in-game economy coming in Modern Warfare, which everyone is asking about.
- A new Battle Pass system, not a loot box system.
- All functional content that has an impact on game balance, such as base weapons and attachments, can be unlocked simply by playing the game.
- The new Battle Pass system will allow players to see the content that they are earning or buying. Battle Passes will launch timed to new, post-launch live seasons, so you can unlock cool new Modern Warfare-themed content that matches each season.
- With the new Battle Pass system, players will be able to earn COD Points by playing the game.
- There will be both a Free Stream and a Premium Stream of content in the Battle Pass System in Modern Warfare. New base weapons will be earned through gameplay, simply by playing Modern Warfare. Functional attachments for base weapons can be unlocked through gameplay as well just like in the game’s Beta.
- The Battle Pass and the In-Game Store will feature a variety of cosmetic content that does not impact game balance.
The Battle Pass System for Modern Warfare will not launch when the game releases on 25 October. This is so that everyone who is playing Modern Warfare has the chance to work their way through the new game and unlock all the rewards. This system is expected to launch later this year.